Last Updated on
This keto cheeseburger pie is perfect for a low-stress dinner any day of the week! Flavored with simple everyday ingredients, it is sure to be a new family favorite. Plus, you probably already have these budget-friendly ingredients on hand in your fridge right now. Like all easy keto recipes, it has simple steps, delicious flavor, and minimal cleanup afterward!
With few modifications, this dish is quickly transformed into an all meat pie, perfect for those interested in zero-fiber carnivore diet recipes.
How to make a Keto Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
Here’s dinner ready to go in just 30 minutes – including baking time!
That’s my kind of quick prep, low-stress weekday meal!
Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C) and greasing a pie or casserole dish. I use a 9-inch round pie plate but you can also use an 8×8-inch baking or casserole dish.
Lightly brown the ground beef in beef tallow or other fat over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed skillet. Transfer to the baking dish once cooked.
Add a little more fat to the skillet and cook the onions for 5-7 minutes, until translucent. Stir them often to avoid burning!
While the onions cook, whisk the eggs in a bowl. Season with salt and herbs. Pour over the beef so it sinks into the meat. Shake the dish gently if needed.
Arrange the onions in an even layer over the eggs and meat.
Top the whole pie with cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes, until the center is set and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Allow the cheeseburger pie to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. This lets the juices stop flowing and settle enough so you can cut and serve it beautifully.
Serve on a bed of lettuce and classic burger add-ins to enhance everyone’s favorite dining experience. Put a bottle of mustard and sugar-free ketchup on the table and plate with Homemade Pickle Relish or pickles and sliced tomatoes on the side.
Everyone will love the new approach to low-carb burgers!
Crustless Cheeseburger Casserole
This easy low carb meat pie is a family-favorite recipe I add to our weekly meal prep menu.
As it is, there are 6 servings for this recipe. If you are expecting a crowd or want to have leftovers for later in the week, double the recipe and bake in 9×13-inch glass baking or casserole dish.
I use this recipe often on a keto diet because it’s a hit with the whole family. No one ever misses the carbs!
The cheeseburger casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge to reheat before serving. Pull it out and place it in the oven at 250°F (120°C) for 10-15 minutes. Use a lower temperature here to avoid overcooking the dish, adding a few slices of butter across the top will prevent the meat from drying out.
How to store Keto Cheeseburger Pie
This crustless meat pie is a good recipe to store in your freezer because it is so freezer-friendly!
Let it cool completely before transferring individual slices to an airtight container or freezer bag. Be sure to squeeze out any remaining air from the bag and make it as compact as possible.
Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm in the oven before serving.
THM, Gluten free & Low Carb
With only meat, cheese and select vegetables this pie is a solid recipe for many diet types.
It is Trim Healthy Mama (THM) and low carb compliant.
In this crustless version, there is no wheat-flour or gluten-containing alternatives, so it is also 100% gluten-free.
I choose not to add any coconut flour or almond flour as thickening agents. There are no nuts or coconut either.
Carnivore Diet Option
Take this concept of a hamburger pie done to the most simple elements of browning the meat, whisking the egg, seasoning with salt and combine it all together in a greased baking dish.
Think you can do it? I know you can!
With this recipe, you will have many servings of delicious animal-based nutrition.
Get The Carnivore Cookbook: Zero-Carb Recipes for People who REALLY Love Animals for even more carnivore style cooking and inspiration!
Variations for Homemade Cheeseburger Pie
Think of all the delicious burger options there are out there and go wild with your favorite flavors!
In essence, this keto meat pie is a simple base for many spin-offs. Use it like a blank canvas ready to absorb your personal tastes.
Bacon Cheeseburger Pie – Many people like bacon on their burgers so if you want, you can fry up some bacon, cut it into small pieces and add to the meat before cooking.
Make it in the slow cooker – If you wanted to make this in the slow cooker, you can! Follow the same exact prep steps and cook on low for 4-5 hours until the center of the pie is set. This is an easy crockpot ready recipe.
Add hidden organ meat – Make this recipe even more budget-friendly and give a nutritional bump by adding ground beef heart or liver to the meat mixture. It will be hidden by all the other flavors, so no one can tell what’s in there. Cooking up a 50% mix of ground beef with ground beef heart or a more daring mix of heart, kidney and liver is a great way to go!
Make it hot – Do you love the heat? Add jalapeños to the mix either on top or baked in the middle. Top with shredded pepper jack cheese and think about serving with a dollop or two of sour cream to cool your mouth off.
Blue Cheese Bison burger – This is an easy modification. Swap out ground beef for ground bison meat and top the casserole with blue cheese in place of shredded cheese. Yum!
California Burger – Give homage to my old home state and dress up this meat pie Cali style with guacamole or avocado, thickly sliced beefsteak tomatoes, and crisp purple onion. Choose Monterrey cheese for the topping.
Keto Cheeseburger Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and grease a 9-inch round pie plate or 8×8-inch baking dish.
- Lightly brown the meat in cooking fat over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottomed skillet or cast iron. Transfer to pie plate once cooked.
- Add a little more fat to the skillet and brown the onions until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Stir frequently.
- While the onions cook, whisk the eggs. Add herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the beef so it sinks into the meat. Shake the dish gently if needed.
- Arrange the onions in an even layer over the eggs and meat.
- Top the whole pie with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Allow the cheeseburger pie to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Macros and Nutrition
More Easy Keto Ground Beef Recipes
We can all use some more simple low carb meals made with ground beef. It is such a good stable – affordable, nutritious, and widely available.
Check out these recipes from some of the best keto chefs in the world!
- Crustless Mini Meat Pies – Take a traditional ground beef recipe to the next level with a hidden ingredient we should all be eating more of.
- Easy Keto Skillet Lasagna – Who doesn’t love an easy skillet meal? I know these are some of my favorite family-style dinners!
- Keto Cheeseburger Soup (Instant Pot) – Perfect for when you want a cheeseburger but it’s too cold to grill one outside. This soup will warm you up quickly.
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole – Here’s a cheesy meat casserole with ground beef you’re sure to love! It takes just 30 minutes to make with simple, everyday ingredients.
- Beef Stroganoff Casserole – Now with a keto-style makeover, this old classic is transformed into a low-carb casserole but still has the same great flavor.
- Keto Cabbage Beef Casserole – A useful weeknight dinner recipe, this is going to be a hit! It’s filling and flavorful, but won’t make you feel weighed down after eating.
Meet Jessica Haggard
Jessica Haggard is the creator of Primal Edge Health, where she shares simple, nourishing low-carb, keto and carnivore diet recipes. With a focus on from scratch, homemade cooking, animal-based nutrition, and easy DIY beauty and personal care recipes, there’s always something new going on in her kitchen! Jessica will teach you exactly how to thrive with all the best ingredients and enjoy the journey along the way.