Want to know what makes this homemade pickle relish special?
It is fermented!
All three of us in the family have an ongoing love affair with naturally fermented foods. Homemade sauerkraut, water kefir, sour cream and cream cheese are among our favorites.
This fermented pickle relish is easy to make in your own kitchen and adds a welcomed spritz of naturally occurring probiotics and gut-healing microbes.
Fermenting times will very due to variations in weather temperature. My pickle relish is ready pretty fast, usually within two days. To preserve the crunchiness of the cucumber, I suggest coarsely chopping the cucumbers by hand rather than in a food processor to avoid an overly mushy result. Keep the pieces sizable and it will come out ok!
This tangy topping is great on keto fritters! I love the contrast of a crispy crunchy fritter with sour relish.
Want homemade dill pickles instead?
If you prefer a simple pickled spear, check out The Kitchn’s cooking lesson on How To Make Dill Pickles, I’ve made these as well and they come out great! The skin retains a crunchy firmness, while the inside becomes softer the longer you leave it to pickle. This recipe made two one liter jars. They were gobbled up fast!
Homemade Pickle Relish Recipe
- 2 large cucumbers chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or oregano
- 2 tablespoons whey optional
- Coarsely chop the cucumbers. Aim to have them all in uniform size so they fermented at an equal rate.
- Once cucumbers are finished toss them in a bowl with garlic, salt, dill and whey.
- Place into a clean jar. Sterilize glass jars by washing them and then place in an oven at 120 degrees C for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven first.
- With the lid on, leave the jars to ferment at room temperature for 2 to 4 days until there are bubbles visibly rising through the pickle relish. Taste to test if the time has been long enough.
Lacto Fermented Pickle Relish by primaledgehealth on Jumprope.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.