Inspiration for this Peppermint Keto Custard came from the classic summertime dessert, grasshopper pie. It’s a beautiful dessert combining a minty cream filling with a chocolate pie crust. Usually served chilled, this pie is ultra reviving to the palate when temperatures rise.
…but it’s a multi-step prep process
…and takes at least 30 minutes to make, plus, in some cases, prebaking the crust (when it’s really too hot for the oven!) and then you still have to let it chill…
For this recipe, I focus just on the delightfully creamy filling and make a crustless filling, tummy toning, keto custard. All in all, it becomes a more foolproof recipe and perfect for busy (and practical) people who like good food but don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen. Story of my life!
Let me show you my favorite recipes for FREE!
Sign up to get my new recipe ebook
This post may contain affiliate links. Primal Edge Health LLC may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you for any orders made through these links. All thoughts and opinions are my own and I never promote something I wouldn’t use myself.
Cooking Tips For Keto Custard
Keto custard can be made entirely from natural, organic ingredients without any artificial flavors, preservatives, or added sugar. A homemade custard is far superior than anything you can find at the grocery store!
- Love the mint chocolate combo of grasshopper pie? Serve with grated cacao paste shavings on top or mix in 4 tablespoons of cacao powder to the bowl of eggs and sweetener. If you add cacao, you want to use 2-4 tablespoons sweetener.
- If serving for guests or a special occasion, top with extra whipped cream
- Source raw, unpasteurized dairy whenever possible. Use our directory list here to source quality foods in your area.
- Make ahead of time and store in the fridge until ready to serve. It will be good for a few days after making, just keep in an air tight container.
- Serve in on big dish or separate into 4 small ramekins for individual portions.
- Batch the recipe and store in the fridge or freezer to last all week!
This recipe yields 4 servings.
With only 3 g net carbs per serving, Peppermint Keto Custard is a delicious, guilt-free way to enjoy a healthy dessert while staying on a keto diet.
The recipe below is 100% gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free. low-carb, ketogenic, and sugar-free!
Sugar-Free Peppermint Custard
A pinch of sweetness (without the blood sugar roller coaster and crazy mental/emotional triggers) is made possible in this recipe by Lakanto’s Monkfruit sweetener.
Save 20% on LAKANTO products with our coupon code PRIMALEDGEHEALTH
Lakanto’s Monkfruit Sweetener is
- ZERO GLYCEMIC – Will not increase blood sugar
- ZERO CALORIES – With no sugar or added artificial flavoring
- USEFUL – Flavor drinks, chocolate, cakes, and more!
- EASY – Convenient for on-the-go or everyday use
- Non-GMO Verified Monk Fruit
- DELICIOUS with no bitter aftertaste
I use Lakanto exclusively, but if you can’t get it delivered to your area, use liquid stevia drops, a different brand of monkfruit sweetener, or erythritol instead. This recipe is pretty good on it’s own with out any sweetener added. It’s up to you if you want to boost the flavor up a sweeter notch or not.
Low Fiber & Carnivore-Friendly
Some folks find they prefer a fiber-free Carnivore Diet to remedy auto-immune conditions, improve mental health, and achieve rapid fat loss. This custard is almost 100% made from animal foods. A pinch of plant based sweetener and peppermint extract may not cause reactions for some people. If you prefer to use honey (and don’t mind the carbs) you may substitute it in an equal amount.
If you’re looking for more delicious zero-fiber recipes, get The Carnivore Cookbook with over 100 recipes made from just the essentials: animal protein and fats or browse through my free collection of Carnivore-Friendly recipes.
Peppermint Keto Custard
- Bring water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, sprinkle gelatin over the surface of the water. Set aside to sit for a few minutes.
- Combine milk and peppermint spirits or extract. Add to water gelatin mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with optional sweetener. Continue whisking and slowly add the peppermint milk. Continue until thickens, remove all clumps.
- Refrigerate until thickened to a pudding-like consistency, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream into stiff peaks. Once mint mixture is chilled, gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Refrigerate to set completely, about 3 hours.