Dairy-free ketogenic icing adds a finishing touch on scones, cupcakes, sweet breads or cookies.
The application of this simple, you can make fancy designs just with a plastic bag snipped at the tip!
I’ve come up with several possible flavor variations so you can custom this recipe for any dessert.
Let me show you my favorite recipes for FREE!
Sign up to get my new recipe ebook
This most may contain affiliate links. Primal Edge Health LLC may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you for any orders made through these links. All thoughts and opinions are my own and I never promote something I wouldn’t use myself.
The icing is sweet and creamy with a ultra-smooth texture, thanks to Lakanto’s powdered monkfruit sweetener.
We use Lakanto to sweeten our ketogenic baked goods. Our whole family likes the taste and feels great after using it. Our children don’t get crazy energy rushes and crashes and I don’t feel inflamed or digestive discomfort.
There is ZERO EFFECT on blood sugar or insulin levels, making it a great sweetener for blood sugar and weight management. Ideal for heath enthusiasts, ketogenic diets, and those trying to cut sugar out of their diet.
Add this Keto Icing to
- Flourless Ketogenic Brownies
- Low-Carb Blueberry Scones
- Ketogenic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Macadamia Nut Keto Coffee Cake
- Zucchini Walnut Loaf
- Orange Cardamom Scones
- Low-Carb Pumpkin Muffins
- And MORE!
As you’ll see in the video this icing is very kid friendly! Both our little munchkins enjoyed licking the spoons and scraping the bowl clean.
I thought they would eat it all but they self-limited (as they often do) once they reached satisfaction. Too much of even a good thing will still be too much. Our 6 year old still surprises me with her ability to self-regulate her food intake. She’s consistently good at listening to her body and is very in tune of her needs. I think the way we approached nutrient-dense foods in her toddler years was instrumental to this healthy development.
9 Variations for Dairy Free Keto Icing
- Vanilla Keto Icing – add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Keto Icing – melt 2 ounces of cacao paste with the butter, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix in with the other ingredients
- Mocha Keto Icing – combine 2 teaspoons coffee grounds with 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- Cinnamon Spice Keto Icing – spread the regular glaze over muffins or spice cake, sprinkle ground cinnamon mixed with Golden Lakanto on top while the icing is still wet
- Citrus Infused Keto Icing – substitute half the amount of milk with lemon juice, add 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Berry Delicious Keto Icing – mash 1/2 cup ripe berries (straw, black, blue etc) Combine into the mixing bowl with an extra 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add more milk if needed to thin out.
- “On the Lighter Side” Keto Icing – substitute hot water for the milk. Thin icings are nice for ketogenic Pound Cake, Lemon Poppy Seed Bread and Cinnamon Spice Bread (recipes from The Ultimate Guide to Low-Carb Baking)
- Extra Rich Keto Icing – use heavy cream or coconut cream in place of the coconut (only coconut cream will make a dairy-free recipe)
- Nutty Keto Icing – sprinkle chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds onto the glaze before it hardens
Dairy Free Keto Icing Tips
- In some cases, it might be desirable to take a cupcake or muffin, turn it upside down and dip it directly into the bowl of icing.
- Adapt the icing to your recipe by adjusting the amount of liqud (coconut milk, nut milk or hot water) added to the recipe. Thinner icing uses more liquid, thicker icing uses less.
- Place your baked goods on a cookie sheet or piece of wax paper. Having a surface to catch the drips makes clean up easy, you may be able to reuse the drips or at least lick it with your fingers.
Dairy-Free Keto Icing
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients unti smooth. Add enough milk for desired consistency. Up to 8 tablespoons will be fine. Sheet cakes and layer cakes may call for more glaze, thinning it makes it spread over more of the surface area and drip down the sides (bonus points for making it look super pretty!)
- Store leftover in the fridge, use on various keto baked goods - cookies, cakes, scones, brownies, and sweet breads. The icing freezes well also, store in an airtight container for up to 6 months in the freezer.