Make this coffee shop style keto blueberry scones recipe In less than 30 minutes! Use just 10 low carb ingredients you probably already have in your pantry and follow the easy recipe directions or watch along in the video.
This is a great example of delicious easy keto recipes can be. No one has to know these scones are gluten, grain, or sugar-free!
This dairy free, keto scones recipe was originally published on Nov 22, 2017, and was republished in April 2020 with better tips.
Are scones keto friendly?
Traditionally scones are made with wheat flour and sugar but not these ones! Follow this recipe and you can eat scones on a keto diet.
Each serving of scone has only 5 g net carb. That is a very moderate amount and leaves plenty of room to reach the upper limit of 20-30 grams daily of net carbs with other foods.
Make a cup coffee, tea, or coffee alternative and recreate these tea party worthy scones at home with healthy ingredients.
If you love baking on any day that ends in -y, but don’t have a copy of The Ultimate Guide to Low-Carb Baking, be sure to pick up a digital or print copy today!
Introduce the keto skeptics in your life to sweet and savory keto baked goods. They are so delicious, no one can tell they are sugar-free and made without wheat!
This post may contain affiliate links. Primal Edge Health LLC may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you for any orders made through these links. All thoughts and opinions are our own and we never promote something we wouldn’t use ourselves.
Keto scones with Coconut and Almond Flour
Almond flour and coconut flour are some of the best keto flours to use. They are naturally gluten and grain-free making them good options for those with gluten intolerance or on a THM, paleo, or keto diet.
Almond flour is made from finely ground, blanched almonds. I buy my almond flour in bulk from Wildly Organic.
Coconut flour is made from finely ground, dried coconut meat. I also buy my coconut flour in bulk from Wildly Organic.
Coconut four tastes great and holds the recipe together well but is a heavy flour and absorbs a lot of liquid. For this reason, I use the two together. Almond flour is light and flaky which brings balance to the texture.
Are blueberries ok on keto?
Many berries are allowed on a keto diet. In general, berries are fruits with the lowest carb count. For some, berries have many health-promoting benefits.
According to FatSecret 1 cup of blueberries has 83 calories. There are 0.5 grams of fat, 21 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fiber, 17.5 g net carb, and 1 g protein.
We use a full cup of blueberries in this dairy free keto scone recipe. The carbs are divided by 8 scones (8 servings), giving each one only about 2.5 g carbs from blueberries per piece. Overall, it’s a very minimal amount.
Learn the best way to bake with frozen blueberries and you’ll never have blue scones or muffins again! If you choose frozen berries, bake for the full 30 minutes. Check them and allow up to 10 extra minutes if they are not fully golden brown.
Can blueberry scones be dairy free?
Most low carb, paleo recipes have simple adjustments such as using coconut oil instead of butter and coconut cream instead of heavy cream to make them fully dairy free.
You don’t have to think about any of that here because this keto blueberry scone recipe is already made with dairy free ingredients. You can enjoy this recipe just as it is without any substitutions.
How to Make Low Carb Scones with Blueberries
This recipe takes just 30 minutes and a few simple kitchen tools.
Always start a baking recipe by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C)
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Mix the wet ingredient in a bowl (reserve the berries).
Fold the wet bowl into the dry bowl.
Gently stir in the blueberries.
Shape the scones either as individual discs on a baking sheet or form the dough in a circle and divide into 8 sections. Wiggle the knife side to side to make space between each scone so they don’t stick to each other while baking.
Sprinkle the tops with extra sweetener if you want. This gives a nice texture to the tops. Press the sweetener down gently to stick into the dough.
Bake for 20-30 minutes. Watch for browning on the top and edges. This is your cue for when they are done.
Let the scones cool completely before moving and serving. They will turn crumbly and fall apart if you move them too soon.
Almond flour scones firm as they cool so you can move them easily later on.
How to Store Keto Blueberry Scones
StoregGluten free, low carb scones in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days after you make them. Rewarm them in the oven before serving if you want to recreate the oven-fresh feeling.
Can I freeze almond flour scones?
You can definitely freeze these, assuming there are any left over. They usually go pretty fast.
Put them in a heavy-duty freezer bag, squeeze out the air and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before eating.
I thaw them in the freezer bag on a plate to avoid ice crystals melting on the countertop.
Variations on Dairy Free Breakfast Scones
With this sugar free keto scone recipe as a base, you can have fun and modify the flavors for what you like best.
- Lemon glaze: Lemon and blueberry taste amazing together. Add the zest of one lemon to the batter and make a glaze with 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted, 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp powdered sweetener. Cool the scones completely before adding the glaze.
- Chocolate chip: Omit the blueberries and add 1 cup of sugar-free chocolate chips.
- Mixed berries: Instead of a full cup of blueberries, use other berries. Add an equal amount of strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries or a combination of the ones you have on hand.
- Chocolate sauce: Drizzle sugar-free chocolate sauce over the tops for decadent taste and eye-popping look.
THRIVE with Animal-Based Nutrition!
Join our private membership for coaching and motivation, plus ongoing inspiration from like-minded people seeking to improve their health!
Do you need help dialing in your specific situation? Learn more about our private and group keto & carnivore diet coaching options to see how you can benefit from our custom approach and view on holistic health.
Keto Blueberry Scones Recipe (Low Carb, Dairy Free)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet or small pizza pan with coconut oil.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk the coconut milk, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla in a second bowl. Fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix gently until dough forms.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Shape the scones on a baking sheet in 8 individual discs or form a circle on a pizza pan and cut it into 8 even sections. Separate the pieces a bit so they do not stick together while baking. Sprinkle additional sweetener on the tops and press down gently, if desired.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on the edges. Let cool completely before serving.
Macros and Nutrition
More Sugar Free Breakfast and Baked Goods Recipes
- Dairy Free Pumpkin Muffins – Light and extra moist, these pumpkin muffins are perfect for a grab and go breakfast, they are 100% dairy-free, low-carb, and sugar-free.
- Macadamia Nut Coffee Cake – A low-carb and keto coffee cake with cinnamon and star anise blended in with flax, almond, and coconut flour is so light and fluffy! Ready in 30 minutes.
- Low Carb Chocolate Pumpkin Bread – Ultra moist and chocolate-infused, this low carb pumpkin bread is a delicious treat for fall! It’s sugar-free, ketogenic goodness at its best.
- Keto Gingerbread Loaf – Cozy up with the family and share a gluten-free, sugar-free keto gingerbread loaf flavored with warming spices and maple-flavored sweetness.
Meet Jessica Haggard
Jessica Haggard is the creator of Primal Edge Health, where she shares simple, nourishing low-carb, keto and carnivore diet recipes. With a focus on from scratch, homemade cooking, animal-based nutrition, and easy DIY beauty and personal care recipes, there’s always something new going on in her kitchen! Jessica will teach you exactly how to thrive with all the best ingredients and enjoy the journey along the way.