Healthy hot chocolate does exist! Sometimes cold and raining mornings call for a cup of something special to start the day and this nutrient dense mug of goodness is just the thing.
A nutrient dense healthy hot chocolate is far superior than the mug of Nesquik cocoa many of us grew up on. It may seem easier to grab a container from the shelf and add a scoop or two into a warm cup of nut milk but the consequence of consuming all the extra ingredients like maltodextrin, sucralose, acesulfame potassium (non-nutritive sweetener) and so on is not beneficial to long-term health or optimal bodily function.
Even the “no sugar added” option still contains a list of 18 ingredients and cautionary alert that the product has “milk and soy ingredients and may contain wheat”.
All these additives and non-food ingredients do not promote life enhancing qualities for you or your children.
Let me show you my favorite recipes for FREE!
Sign up to get my new recipe ebook
This post may contain affiliate links. Primal Edge Health LLC may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you for any orders made through these links. All thoughts and opinions are our own and we never promote something we wouldn’t use ourselves.
I challenge you to find a mass produced alternative that will be as nourishing and nutrient dense as this healthy hot chocolate recipe.
Instead of grabbing a can of processed powders, make this recipe in bulk and store it in a airtight container to use whenever you want!
This healthy drink is good enough to replace your morning cup of coffee if you want it to. I’ve been known to use this as an alternative to coffee every now and then!
Speaking of holiday cheer, do you ever give edible gifts?
This homemade hot chocolate recipe has my vote!
Double or triple the dry ingredients by combining them all in a mixing bowl and stir until evenly incorporated.
Divide into jars and wrap each one with a bow. Print out the recipe directions and fold them up like a card.
Who wouldn’t love a healthy hot chocoalte mix?
You can also make a bulk batch for yourself and store it in an airtight jar on the pantry shelf.
Reap the benefits from your own Healthy Hot Chocolate Mix:
- stress relieving (maca helps you adapt to stress, cacao provides a boost of energy)
- nutrient dense (all the ingredients are rich in vitamins and minerals, most notably: cacao, maca, coconut oil, and nut milk)
- no artificial flavors or sugars (the herbs provide a rich and robust flavor profile, nothing extra needed)
- nourishing to the gut (collagen soothes and supports the muscles and membranes in the digestive system)
- full of healthy fats (which in turn nourish and protect brain health and function)
When you’re wanting to hold a warm cup o’ something chocolatey and delicious this healthy hot chocolate with a wealth of nutrition is the way to go!
We live in the Andes of Ecuador and have been fortunate enough to source the top quality maca from the pristine highlands of Peru.
Find Raw Organic Premium Maca Powder available in our shop now!
Bonus Recipe Tip:
This special blend of cacao, maca, and collagen can also be mixed into a cup of coffee instead of the nut milk. The combination will give a mocha, butterscotch flavor that is super good!
Nutrient Dense Healthy Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups nut milk (almond, coconut, or hemp)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed beef collagen powder
- 1/2 tablespoon maca powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- sweetener of choice (stevia or Lakanto for low-carb, honey for paleo/kid friendly)
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk in all ingredients until evenly combined.
- Taste and adjust as needed.
- Serve warm or blend briefly for 30 seconds in a blender or with an immersion blender to make frothy and then serve.
Macros and Nutrition