These 5-ingredient Keto Peppermint Patties taste just like the classic York peppermint patties we all love from childhood. You’ll feel welcome to indulge in this healthier version guilt-free because it’s low-carb, dairy-free, and sugar-free.
Table of Contents (click to view)
Keto York Peppermint Patties
If you’re a fan of York peppermint patties, you will love this homemade version! A creamy peppermint center enveloped in luscious dark chocolate satisfies that sweet tooth craving guilt-free.
This recipe contains zero white sugar, corn syrup, emulsifier, soy lecithin, natural flavor, or sugar which is more than any York peppermint patty can claim.
York peppermint candies have a whopping 31 grams of sugar per patty. Can you believe this homemade version has only 1 gram of net carb? Not to mention we avoid all the other unnecessary additives and flavorings when we make peppermint patties at home!
The best part is that these keto peppermint patties have minimal ingredients and are so easy to make. They are also freezer friendly and can be made in large batches. Peppermint patties will technically last up to 3 months if properly frozen. However, it’s likely that they will be eaten way before that!
This healthy peppermint patty recipe is a good treat any time of year, but especially around the holidays. You can top them with fun sprinkles or crushed keto peppermint hard candies for the ultimate holiday treat. Wrap them up with a festive bow to make a lovely handmade holiday gift for family and friends. Or serve them at your next party! Either way, they will be loved by all.
How to Make a Keto Peppermint Patties
Gather these 5 simple ingredients and you’re half way to making sugar free peppermint patties in just 25 minutes of prep time!
This easy no-bake dessert starts with making the peppermint filling first, freezing it, then coating it in a delicious dairy-free chocolate ganache.
It tastes refreshingly amazing after a few short hours of chill time, straight from the freezer!
For the creamy peppermint filling
- Coconut oil – softened
- Powdered sweetener – Don’t use granular sweetener, as the filling will be gritty. Powdered sweetener will give you the smoothest texture.
- Coconut cream – This will help create that rich, luscious, creamy filling. Coconut cream can be purchased on its own, or you can also collect the thick fat layer on top of canned coconut milk. Alternatively, you can use regular heavy cream if dairy is okay.
- Peppermint extract – This is the star of this recipe. Start with 1 teaspoon of the peppermint extract, but you can go up to 2 for a stronger flavor. Test first, though, as peppermint can be overpowering.
For the chocolate shell
- Cacao paste – Use unsweetened cacao paste or substitute it with baker’s chocolate for that deep dark chocolate flavor. You can also sub with sugar-free chocolate chips or sugar-free chocolate bar.
- Coconut oil – This is an important ingredient to help create a smooth chocolate ganache for the patties. You could use unsalted butter instead of coconut oil.
Use code “PRIMALEDGEHEALTH” for 15% off Lakanto sweeteners and chocolate when you purchase online with my affiliate links in the text above.
Substitutions and Variations
This healthy peppermint patty recipe resembles a traditional York peppermint patty and satisfies that nostalgic taste. It’s a very simple peppermint and chocolate combination.
However, you can jazz it up with different flavors. Swap out the peppermint extract for orange extract for a more citrusy flavor. Or enhance the mint flavor by adding some crushed sugar-free hard mints on top of the chocolate for a very festive holiday candy.
Add this recipe to your list of keto Christmas dinner recipes and serve as the best after-dinner mint ever!
There are only 25 minutes of active prep time and the rest of the time the patties are chilling in the freezer. In fact, they are a great freezer-friendly dessert that can be made ahead of time before serving.
These peppermint patties do have a few steps involved but once you get the hang of it, the process moves smoothly.
And before you know it, you have a batch of healthy coconut peppermint patties ready to gift or enjoy yourself.
Step one: Cream
Cream the coconut oil and powdered sweetener together. Add coconut cream and peppermint extract. Taste and adjust as needed up to another full teaspoon of extract if desired.
Step two: Shape patties
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop a rounded tablespoon of the filling and press into a 1½ inch circular disk. Repeat with the remaining material until you make 12 total patties.
Step three: Chill
Place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes or until frozen solid.
Step four: Chocolate shell
Melt ingredients for the chocolate shell (cacao paste and coconut oil) in a double boiler.
Step five: Coat filling
Gently drop one disk at a time into the melted chocolate, turn it over with a fork, and toss until the filling is completely coated.
Step six: Coat all peppermint filling
Remove the candy with a fork and return it to the baking sheet. Continue with all other disks.
Step seven: Chill patties
Return the sheet to the freeze and chill until the shell sets, 30-60 minutes. Once firm, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to eat.
Remove the candies from the freezer ahead of time and thaw for about 10 minutes before eating. Or enjoy frozen, if you like chocolate-covered ice cream bites. The frozen version reminds me of It’s-It ice cream sandwiches I used to buy from the middle school vending machines. But these are so much better because they are completely low-carb and sugar-free!
Keto Peppermint Patty Nutrition
This recipe makes 12 servings (or 12 patties).
Each serving contains:
- 142 calories
- 1 g protein
- 16 g fat
- 3 g total carbs
- 2 g fiber
- 1 g net carbs
Please note that the nutritional value will change if you substitute ingredients. Use a nutrition app like My Fitness Pal to recalculate and reflect your changes.
Sugar-Free Peppermint Patties FAQ
These York peppermint patties can be made keto as long as you use keto ingredients. Be sure to use a sugar-free powdered sweetener like monkfruit or an erythritol-based sweetener that is low in carbs. It’s also important to use sugar-free dark chocolate.
Keto Peppermint patties made with coconut cream are dairy free. The peppermint extract disguises the coconut flavor, so you can’t even taste any coconut in these patties. No one will ever believe that these dairy-free peppermint patties are made without any heavy cream. Also, make sure the chocolate is dairy free as well.
More Dark Chocolate Fat Bombs
Love these chocolate peppermint fat bombs?
I think you’ll also like:
- Keto Nutella Fat Bombs
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Recipe with Almonds
- Spirulina Chocolate Bites
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Bombs with Maca
- Sugar-free Chocolate Bites with Reishi and Shilajit
Keto Peppermint Patties Recipe
Creamy Peppermint Filling
- Cream the coconut oil and powdered sweetener together. Add coconut cream and peppermint extract. Taste, add up to another full teaspoon of extract if desired.½ cup coconut oil, 4 tablespoons powdered sweetener, 2 tablespoons coconut cream, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop a rounded tablespoon of the filling and press into a 1½ inch circular disk. Repeat with the remaining material until you make 12 total patties.
- Place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes or until frozen solid.
- Melt ingredients for the chocolate shell (cacao paste and coconut oil) in a double boiler.4 ounces cacao paste, 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- Gently drop one disk at a time into the melted chocolate, turn it over with a fork, and toss until the filling is completely coated.
- Remove the candy with a fork and return it to the baking sheet. Continue with all other disks.
- Return the sheet to the freeze and chill until the shell sets, 30-60 minutes. Once firm, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to eat.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
More Keto Copycat Recipes
This recipe was originally published in September 2019 and later updated in December 2022 with more helpful tips and new images.