Carnivore Keto Breakfast Casserole is a delicious make ahead meal with sausage, egg, and cheese. Not only is it easy to make, but it will also satiate and give you long-lasting energy for the day!
How to Make a Keto Breakfast Casserole
All ingredients are low in oxalate too, perfect for anyone interested in a low oxalate diet.
Need an idea for keto breakfast meal prep?
I recommend this recipe! Bake it the night before, store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container, and eat a cold breakfast or heat a portion in the oven before serving.
This low carb breakfast casserole is also the first choice for any weekend brunch or holiday breakfast. I am impressed by the simplicity and practicality of this keto egg casserole each time I make it!
Egg bake dishes like this one are the perfect fit for everyday meal prep and also special brunches when there are guests around. When feeding a crowd, double this recipe and bake in a 9×13-inch dish.
It’s so easy!
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Warm butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic together for 5 minutes.
Remove the sausage from its casing and add to the pan also. Break apart into smaller pieces and brown all sides evenly, about 8 minutes.
While the sausage browns, whisk 10 eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Transfer meat to an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) glass baking or casserole dish. Arrange in a single, even layer on the bottom.
Pour the egg mixture over the meat. Gently jiggle or tap the dish so the egg can settle down around the meat.
Bake for 20 minutes, until eggs are set and the top is golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Meal Prep Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole
Once you learn the foundational steps of making a keto egg breakfast casserole, you can branch out and fully customize it exactly how you like it best. Add in different vegetables like sautéed mushrooms or leeks or mix and match different herbs like rosemary or oregano. Have a favorite hot sauce? Mix in up to a tablespoon of that with the eggs and bake it all together!
Poke through the fridge and pull out any leftover ingredients that need to be used up. This is a very forgiving recipe, so don’t be afraid to experiment.
Breakfast is an important meal of the day but busy and chaotic mornings are never fun.
There are many keto breakfast ideas to try, just pick a few of your favorites and rotate them in during the week.
Here are some simple recipes ideas to start with:
- How to make a Keto Omelette – For any day (and any meal); Use up leftover bits and pieces of veggies and herbs
- Carnivore Breakfast Muffins – Made entirely from animal-based ingredients! This easy dairy-free breakfast idea is great for meal prep. Try all 5 keto variations!
- Egg Muffin Cup – Freezable and perfect for busy mornings
- Easy Keto Frittata – A good breakfast that makes even better leftovers
- Cheesy Keto Casserole – A crowd pleaser made with common everyday ingredients.
Carnivore Keto Breakfast Ideas
You can never go wrong by starting the day with keto carnivore recipes. Animal foods are extremely nourishing and satiating. When we are filled and satisfied, we won’t struggle with cravings or feel the need to snack all the time. Finally getting the nutrition you need is such a relief!
When we teach keto to clients, we always emphasize the importance of animal-based nutrition. Eat the steaks and you won’t be hungry for the cakes. It’s as simple as steaks over cakes.
We notice that swapping out flour heavy breakfasts like bread, bagels, muffins, and scones in favor of savory meats and eggs generally lead to better fat loss, fewer cravings, and less snacking. Even if the recipes are made with almond flour and coconut flour, which are some of the best ingredients for keto baking, they don’t act the same in our bodies as protein and fat.
I listed some egg-based recipes above but don’t hesitate to start eating meat in the morning! It’s not usually considered a standard breakfast meal but your mind should not get in the way of your progress.
Carnivore Breakfast: Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Casserole
Since the ingredient list in this low carb sausage, egg, and cheese casserole is mostly sausage, egg, and cheese the recipe is easily modified for a carnivore diet.
- Sausage is the meat of choice here but in a pinch, you can substitute ground meat of any kind. Bacon is pretty tasty too. Whatever you choose, pre-cook the meat first.
- Eggs are essential for holding the casserole together. They contain significant amounts of protein and fats with minimal carbs.
- Cheese also works to hold this low carb dish together in a nice presentable portion. Choose any shreddable cheese like Colby, Monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar, or Swiss. Get creative and use what you have on hand or what you like best.
Carnivore diet recipes consist exclusively of animal protein and fat.
Think that’s crazy? It’s not! I wrote the original Carnivore Cookbook filled with 100+ fiber-free, ultra low and zero carb recipes based entirely on animal foods.
Transform this dish into a carnivore breakfast casserole by omitting the onion, garlic, thyme, and black pepper. With out the plants, there are still some carbs from the dairy foods, but even so, this is practically a no carb breakfast casserole.
In many cases, these ingredients are relatively benign as far as plant toxins go. Once you are ready to reintroduce plant foods to your diet again, the original recipe will be an appropriate keto carnivore dish to make. If you know that you tolerate these foods, enjoy them!
When the time comes, introduce single ingredients one at a time and give a space of three days or so between new foods so you can judge any residual effects.
More Carnivore Diet Breakfast Ideas
Aside from a carnivore casserole, there are delicious ways to enjoy animal foods in the morning.
3-ingredient Scotch Eggs – A classic dish that never gets old.
Carnivore Casserole – Make this for breakfast (or dinner!) any day of the week. All you need to do is combine ground beef with eggs, cream, and cream cheese, then bake until done.
Carnivore Egg-in-a-Hole – This dairy-free carnivore breakfast idea is a delicious way to eat ground beef and eggs. It’s quick and easy with only 4 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time.
Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Warm butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic together for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from its casing and add to the pan also. Break apart into smaller pieces and brown all sides evenly, about 8 minutes.
- While the sausage browns, whisk 10 eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer meat to an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) glass baking or casserole dish. Arrange in a single, even layer on the bottom.
- Pour the egg mixture over the meat. Gently jiggle or tap the dish so the egg can settle down around the meat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until eggs are set and top is golden brown. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Breakfast Casserole by primaledgehealth on Jumprope.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
This recipe was originally published on Dec 24, 2018 and later updated on Dec 5, 2020.
Meet Jessica Haggard
Jessica Haggard is the creator of Primal Edge Health, where she shares simple, nourishing low-carb, keto and carnivore diet recipes.