Serve yourself a simple keto breakfast casserole and your body will be satisfied with the fats and protein for hours! Casseroles are just one of the easy keto recipes you can make to keep your keto diet simple yet enjoyable. This one happens to be easy to make and great for meal prepping too.
Made almost exclusively from animal foods, this casserole is quickly transformed into a delicious carnivore breakfast just by omitting the onion, garlic, and herbs. It is perfect for those interested in zero-fiber carnivore diet recipes.
What is a good simple keto breakfast recipe?
The best easy keto breakfast you can have is something based on animal protein and fats.
These ingredients are the secret to reaching satiation in a way that fills you up but never makes you bloated.
Protein and fat, particularly from animal sources, are quality sources of bioavailable nutrition that give long-lasting energy throughout the day. You’ll never get sideswiped by energy dips when you eat this way!
I know intermittent fasting is very popular but it shouldn’t be interpreted as a one-size-fits-all approach to health. Starting IF may be the right choice for some but is not recommended for everyone.
Breakfast can be an important meal of the day but busy and chaotic mornings are never fun. Prepping breakfast on a day like that can just add to the chaos.
There are many keto breakfast ideas to try, you just have to pick a few to rotate during the week.
This breakfast casserole is a great example of a make ahead recipe that will simplify your meal prep routine.
Have this a few times a week and you’ll be set in the morning. Eating consistently and building habits around health are keys to fat loss and body composition success!
This post may contain affiliate links. Primal Edge Health LLC may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you for any orders made through these links. All thoughts and opinions are our own and we never promote something we wouldn’t use ourselves.
Low Carb Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Casserole
The basics of any good casserole are meat, egg, and cheese. When you combine them together you get a delicious yet easy meal, versatile enough for a formal brunch yet simple enough for a breakfast-for-dinner weeknight.
- Eggs are essential for holding the casserole together. They contain significant amounts of protein and fats with minimal carbs. Eggs are great ingredients for low carb breakfast dishes!
Don’t worry though, this cheesy casserole isn’t overly eggy. Each bite is packed with flavor and you can always customize it with a splash of your favorite hot sauce or dollop of guacamole.
- Cheese also works to hold this low carb dish together in a nice presentable portion. Choose any shreddable cheese like Colby, Monterey jack, pepper jack, cheddar, or Swiss. Get creative and use what you have on hand or what you like best.
- Sausage is the meat of choice here but in a pinch, you can substitute for ground meat. Ground beef, pork, or bison are other options that would taste great also. Bacon is pretty tasty too. Whatever you choose, the meat must be pre-cooked.
Double-check that you use a sugar-free sausage, some sausages contain hidden sugars you wouldn’t know about unless you check the ingredient list on the back of the package.
If you are looking for keto recipe ingredients online, visit US Wellness. Among other delicious foods, they stock grass-fed butter, raw milk cheese and organic sausages that would be perfect for this breakfast casserole!
How to Make Keto Breakfast Casserole
In this recipe, we are fueling on chicken sausage, eggs, and cheese. Yum!
The fatty proteins are accented with onion, garlic, and thyme for a little extra oomph in flavor and variety.
Recipe prep is pretty basic for this casserole which is yet another reason I love this recipe!
Begin to preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
Warm butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic together for 5 minutes.
Remove the sausage from its casing and add to the pan also. Break apart into smaller pieces and brown all sides evenly. Cook for around 8 minutes.
While the sausage browns, whisk 10 eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Transfer meat to an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) glass baking or casserole dish. Arrange in a single, even layer on the bottom.
Pour the egg mixture over the meat. Gently jiggle or tap the dish so the egg can settle down around the meat.
Bake for 20 minutes, until eggs are set and the top is golden brown. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Carnivore Diet Option
You can easily adapt this keto recipe to be a fiber-free, zero-carb carnivore diet recipe just by removing the sautéed onion and garlic as well as the thyme and black pepper.
For some carnivore dieters, these ingredients are not a problem since they do not cause any auto-immune reactions or acute symptom flair ups. If you know that you tolerate these foods, enjoy them!
If you get the best results with a minimalist approach, stick to just the butter, sausage (or ground meat for an even more elemental ingredient), eggs, cheese, and salt.
This carnivore breakfast idea is a nice change to fried eggs and bacon. With a little creativity, animal-based nutrition is very enjoyable. Use The Carnivore Cookbook as a trusted resource for plant-free, budget-friendly recipes. I included 100+ recipes to make sure that you always have something new and delicious to make.
Make Ahead Keto Breakfast Casserole
Once you learn the foundational steps of making a keto breakfast casserole, you can branch out and add in vegetables, different herbs, and other seasonal ingredients.
I favor the classic approach of sausage, egg, and cheese. But you might like to take this in another direction!
However you decide to do it, breakfast casseroles are convenient and healthy staples for weekly keto diet meal prep.
Make it once and this keto breakfast casserole will last for multiple meals. It’s obviously great for breakfast or brunch, but also makes for a quick and easy lunch or dinner!
To double the serving size for 8 full servings, simply double the recipe and bake in a 9×13-inch (23×33-centimeter) baking dish. Have your whole crew gather around the table and enjoy the meal together or have enough to portion out for yourself all week long.
Store leftover casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Give it a few minutes to heat up again in the oven and it will be just as fresh as it was the first time.
Keto Egg Bake Muffins
Take a fun spin on the traditionally square or rectangle breakfast casserole and bake them in a muffin pan instead!
Use a standard-size 12-cup muffin pan for the low carb recipe below. Grease the muffin pan before filling each well evenly with the egg, sausage, and cheese mixture. Then bake at the same temperature for 15-20 minutes until the egg is completely set and cheese fully melted.
These keto egg bake breakfast casserole muffins are the ultimate for a grab-and-go breakfast. They also pack well into a lunch or backpack so you can take your keto nutrition out with you wherever you go.
Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Begin to preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Warm butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic together for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from its casing and add to the pan also. Break apart into smaller pieces and brown all sides evenly. Cook around 8 minutes.
- While the sausage browns, whisk 10 eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer meat to an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) glass baking or casserole dish. Arrange in a single, even layer on the bottom.
- Pour the egg mixture over the meat. Gently jiggle or tap the dish so the egg can settle down around the meat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until eggs are set and top is golden brown. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving warm.
Macros and Nutrition
More easy keto breakfast recipes:
- Learn How to make a Keto Omelette because they are quick and easy for any day of the week and a good way to use up leftover bits and pieces of veggies and herbs.
- Easy Low Carb Breakfast Sausage and Egg Cups – Make these egg cups ahead of time and store in the freezer for an easy low carb grab and go breakfast. There is also a ham and egg cup version too.
- Easy Keto Frittata – Stuffed with a hearty mix of mushrooms, cheese and greens, this is a good breakfast that makes even better leftovers.
- Instant Pot Egg Bites with Bacon and Gouda – Bacon and Gouda cheese add tons of smoky flavor, while cottage cheese makes each bite light and velvety. These egg bites are perfect for a quick grab-and-go breakfast.
- Cheesy Keto Casserole – Casseroles are great crowd pleasers and this one will not disappoint! This is an easy keto recipe made with common everyday ingredients.
- Keto Breakfast Roll-Ups – These Keto breakfast roll-ups make the greatest on the go low carb breakfast. This is an easy 4 ingredient keto recipe that will be your new go-to breakfast.
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole – All the flavors of jalapeño poppers made into a tasty and easy to make Keto casserole.
- Egg Cup Muffins – Keto Egg Cups are a quick solution for meal prepping, snacking, and kid-friendly meals. These egg cups can also be packed in a to-go container and taken on the run.
- Caprese Breakfast Egg Cups – These are a quick, low carb breakfast that can be easily transported wherever you go and packed with flavor from basil, tomatoes, and cheese.
Meet Jessica Haggard
Jessica Haggard is the creator of Primal Edge Health, where she shares simple, nourishing low-carb, keto and carnivore diet recipes. With a focus on from scratch, homemade cooking, animal-based nutrition, and easy DIY beauty and personal care recipes, there’s always something new going on in her kitchen! Jessica will teach you exactly how to thrive with all the best ingredients and enjoy the journey along the way.