Make this easy Egg Drop Soup without cornstarch for lunch or dinner. It’s a budget-friendly one pot meal made in 10 minutes from start to finish. Plus, it’s a healthy low-carb, dairy-free soup the whole family will love.
Bone Broth Egg Drop Soup
Egg drop soup is a popular Chinese-inspired soup that can easily be recreated at home with healthy ingredients. Pick any traditional recipe, and you’ll see cornstarch added to the ingredient list as a way to thicken the broth. I find this completely unnecessary since the starch doesn’t add any flavor or nutrition. Plus, it’s not a keto-friendly ingredient.
Sans cornstarch, egg drop soup is naturally keto and low-carb. The best part is that it’s made in under 10 minutes.
Start by infusing the broth with flavor and finish by adding a slow, steady stream of whisked eggs while stirring the broth in a circular motion. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm with optional green onion garnish. That’s all there is to it!
Bone broth is essential in this recipe, and homemade broth is superior to store-bought. If you follow a strict carnivore diet, you might prefer an ultra-simple Carnivore Diet Bone Broth Recipe instead of a Traditional Homemade Bone Broth or Slow Cooker Beef Bone Broth.
For an authentic carnivore soup recipe, use the carnivore diet broth instead of traditional bone broth. The difference is not significant, but when following a strict diet of any kind, it’s essential to adhere to these limitations.
Carnivore diet soup has no plant-based ingredients such as onion, garlic, celery, or carrots and is entirely animal-based. This one, in particular, is a nourishing comfort food dish that’s as satiating as it is easy to make.
How to Make Gluten-free Egg Drop Soup
Gather three basic ingredients, and you’re halfway to making an egg drop soup recipe without cornstarch in just 10 minutes! If you are not following a strict carnivore diet and want a few keto add-ins, you may also want to grab a few more ingredients like coconut aminos and green onions.
This carnivore diet soup recipe comes together in two simple steps with a small saucepan of bone broth and a bowl of whisked eggs.
- Bone broth – chicken bone broth or beef bone broth will both work for this soup
- Eggs – a few large eggs wisked in a small bowl
- Sea salt
This gut-healthy soup depends on a staple ingredient central to many healing diets: bone broth. As such, ensure that your bone broth is of superior quality and free from any thickening agents or additives. I suggest the bone broth bundle from Kettle & Fire if you don’t have a homemade or local option.
You’ll see a complete list of optional keto-friendly add-ins in the recipe card below.
Substitutions and Variations
Because this soup is made without cornstarch, it is naturally Whole30, Paleo, and GAPS compliant.
Consider these simple diet modifications to make the most of this easy meal:
- Keto diet: add keto soy sauce or coconut aminos for extra flavor; season broth with ginger powder, red chili flakes, or ground black pepper; and garnish the soup with green onions or chopped cilantro.
- Dairy-free: this soup recipe is naturally dairy-free
- Carnivore diet: keep this soup strict carnivore by using plain bone broth, skipping the garnish, and seasoning only with salt.
- Low oxalate diet: the basic carnivore version contains zero oxalates. If you add the extra keto ingredients, it will be a low-oxalate soup.
Follow these simple directions, and you can’t go wrong!
As long as you have bone broth ready to go, this soup takes only a minute to whip together.
Step one: Heat broth
Bring the broth to a light simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Step two: Add ingredients
Add optional keto ingredients and salt (reserve the green onion for garnish). Mix well.
Step three: Whisk eggs
In a small bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Briskly stir broth in a circular clockwise motion. Remove the spoon and, as the broth continues to spiral, pour in whisked eggs.
Step four: Cook
Cook for about one minute until the eggs are cooked through.
Step five: Garnish and serve
Divide into bowls, garnish with green onion, if using and serve hot.
Egg Drop Soup Nutritional Info
There are 2 servings in this egg drop soup recipe.
Each serving contains
- 140 calories
- 18 g protein
- 7 g fat
- 1 g total carbs
Please note that the nutritional value will change if you substitute ingredients. Use a nutrition app like My Fitness Pal to recalculate and reflect your changes.
Keto Carnivore Egg Drop Soup FAQ
This egg drop soup without cornstarch has only 1 gram of net carbs per serving. It’s a great soup option for those who are following a keto, low-carb, or carnivore diet.
This homemade egg drop soup does not contain gluten or any grains and is, therefore, gluten-free. If ordering egg drop soup at a restaurant, the thickening agent may contain gluten, so always ask if unsure.
Egg drop soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, gently warm it on low heat, so the eggs don’t overcook and become rubbery.
Egg drop soup is not very freezer friendly as the eggs will become rubbery. But with only 1-minute of active, hands-on time, you can whip this soup up as needed. Bone broth without the eggs freezes beautifully, so make sure you are well stocked with broth to make egg drop soup whenever the craving strikes.
More Ketovore Recipes with Bone Broth
Carnivore Keto Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Base Soup (Strict Carnivore)
- 2 cups bone broth beef or chicken
- 3 large eggs whisked
- ½ tsp salt
Optional Keto Add-Ins
- 1 tsp Keto Soy Sauce or coconut aminos
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp green onion sliced diagonally for garnish
- Bring the broth to a light simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat.2 cups bone broth
- Add optional keto ingredients and salt (reserve the green onion). Mix well.1 tsp Keto Soy Sauce, ¼ tsp ginger powder, ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes, ⅛ tsp ground black pepper, ½ tsp salt
- Begin briskly stirring in a circular clockwise motion. Remove the spoon and, as the broth continues to spiral, pour in whisked eggs.3 large eggs
- Cook for about 1 minute, until eggs are cooked through.
- Divide into bowls, garnish with green onion. Serve hot.1 tsp green onion
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
More Asian Keto Recipes
Homemade keto Asian recipes are the way to go if you want to still eat all your favorite take-out dishes but avoid the carbs.
I’ll suggest some easy stir-fry recipes to get you started:
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Keto Ground Beef Stir Fry
- Ground Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl (Crack Slaw)
- Korean Ground Beef
This post was originally published on September 2016 and later updated with tips and new images on December 2022.
2 thoughts on “Egg Drop Soup without Cornstarch (Carnivore, Keto, Gluten-free)”
I love recipes that use the bone broth I always already have in my freezer. We’ll definitely be making this again.
It’s so quick! A great choice for farm-fresh eggs too.