Make this easy one-pot Keto Egg Roll Soup for dinner tonight! This healthy comfort food has your favorite egg roll flavors but in a soup. It’s quick and simple to make, and you can customize the recipe to fit your needs. Plus, it’s paleo, Whole30, and AIP, so you can feel good about making this again and again.
Deconstructed Egg Roll Soup
If you’ve never had an egg roll soup, you’re in for a treat! It’s similar to an Egg Roll in a Bowl skillet meal but simmers in broth on the stovetop instead.
This Chinese-inspired soup is one of those easy recipes that you’ll be coming back to again and again. There are so many reasons to love this egg roll soup.
Firstly, it’s a one-pot wonder that can be made in under 30 minutes! With just a handful of basic ingredients, you’ll be on your way to an easy dinner in no time. There are also small shortcuts that make this soup even more convenient to make (like using coleslaw mix!).
Secondly, it’s packed with nutrition. Sausage, bone broth, and cabbage, oh my! This soup is loaded with healthy ingredients that you will feel good about preparing and serving your loved ones.
Speaking of ingredients: it is packed with flavor! We love keto Asian cuisine, and this soup does not disappoint. Take your favorite egg roll, remove the heavy carbs, and add in all the other healthy ingredients and you have a delicious and healthy egg roll soup.
Finally, soup is total comfort food. There’s just something so healing about warming up to a bowl of hearty soup, especially during the cold winter months. Bonus points if that soup is also naturally keto, paleo, and overall nourishing.
How to Make Egg Roll Soup
Gather 11 ingredients, and you’re halfway to making a recipe for egg roll soup in just 30 minutes!
This quick soup starts with browning the sausage (or your choice of meat) first, then adding all the aromatics, followed by broth and cabbage and gently simmering until all the flavors are combined.
Such an easy one-pot meal but loaded with great flavor!
- Ground sausage – use your favorite bulk sausage (mild or hot)
- Sesame oil
- Yellow onion – about 1 medium size onion, diced
- Ginger – grated fresh ginger adds so much flavor, but you can also substitute that with 1 teaspoon of dry ginger powder
- Carrots – cut into matchsticks, about 1 cup of carrot matchsticks
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best
- Chicken broth – homemade bone broth is always ideal, but you can find good quality broths in your local grocery store or purchase online from Kettle & Fire.
- Soy sauce – use keto soy sauce to keep this keto or coconut aminos also work but it’s an important ingredient in this soup’s flavor, so don’t skip it!
- Green cabbage – slice fresh cabbage or use a coleslaw mix to save time shredding and make the most delicious egg roll soup with coleslaw mix.
- Green onions – chopped for garnish
Egg rolls have a flavor profile that includes lots of ginger, garlic, onion, carrots, and of course, cabbage. Beyond that, you can really customize this soup to make it your own.
Ground sausage can be swapped out with another choice of ground meat. Try plain ground pork or ground turkey for a leaner soup.  Ground chicken would also work great in this recipe.
Another way to bump up the nutritional profile of this quick soup is to use nourishing bone broth. Sure, you can use storebought, and thankfully, there are many good quality broths on the market now. But nothing compares to homemade bone broth.
Either chicken or beef bone broth would work. Chicken broth is generally a lot milder, so if you want to emphasize all the egg roll flavors, use chicken broth. On the other hand, beef broth has a bolder flavor and is also a great option for this one pot meal.
Follow these simple directions, and you can’t go wrong! With only 10 minutes of active, hands-on time, it feels very quick to make. The soup gently simmers away for the rest of the cooking time.
Step one: Cook meat
Brown the sausage over medium-high heat in the bottom of a large 4-quart stock pot.
Step two: Sauté aromatics
Add sesame oil, onion, and ginger, then sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and garlic; continue cooking for 4 minutes until the carrots begin to soften.
Step three: Add remaining ingredients
Add broth, soy sauce, and shredded cabbage. Season with salt.
Step four: Simmer
Mix well and bring the pot to a simmer; maintain for 15 minutes until the cabbage is soft and tender.
Step five: Serve
Garnish with chopped green onions and serve warm.
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Egg roll soup can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Leftover egg roll soup makes a great lunch the next day. In fact, it actually tastes better after all the flavors have melded together.
To reheat leftover soup: gently bring it to a simmer over medium-high heat and heat until warmed through.
Nutritional Info for Cabbage Egg Roll Soup
There are 6 servings of this Cabbage Egg Roll Soup.
How many calories in egg roll soup?
You’ll be surprised to learn that a serving of this egg roll soup has only 287 calories! That’s impressive, considering how filling and flavorful this recipe is.
Each serving contains:
- 287 calories
- 14 g protein
- 21 g fat
- 10 g total carbs
- 3 g fiber
- 7 g net carbs
Please note that the nutritional value will change if you substitute ingredients. Use a nutrition app like My Fitness Pal to recalculate and reflect your changes.
More Keto Soup Recipes
- Keto Miso Soup
- Keto Tom Kha Gai Soup
- Low-Carb Egg Drop Soup
- Keto Beer Cheese Soup
- Avocado Soup Recipe with Bone Broth
Egg Roll Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated, or 1 tsp ground ginger powder
- 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks, about 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Keto soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 pound green cabbage shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped for garnish
- Brown the sausage over medium-high heat in the bottom of a large 4-quart stock pot.1 pound ground sausage
- Add sesame oil, onion, and ginger, then sauté for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and garlic; continue cooking for 4 minutes until the carrots begin to soften.1 tsp sesame oil, 1 medium yellow onion, 1 inch ginger, 2 medium carrots, 2 cloves garlic
- Add broth, soy sauce, and cabbage. Season with salt. Mix well and bring to a simmer; maintain for 15 minutes until cabbage is soft and tender.6 cups chicken broth, 2 tbsp Keto soy sauce, 1 pound green cabbage, ½ tsp salt
- Serve warm with green onion garnish.2 tbsp green onions
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
4 thoughts on “Keto Egg Roll Soup (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)”
I love anything with sausage and cabbage together so I made this for the fam. For better or worse, there weren’t ANY leftovers!!
For better or worse, I hear you! I’m sure making a double batch next time will avoid that “problem.” Have a great day!
Been looking for a new soup to add to our weeknight menu and this was a hit with the family! We felt like it was take out 😉 Even better we got to use our own chicken sausage. Thanks!
Substituting with chicken sausage sounds yummy! Great choice!