This ground beef keto egg roll in a bowl is a delicious one-pan meal you can make in 30 minutes or less! It tastes like all the best parts of Chinese take-out but without the egg roll wrapper. This recipe is also low-carb, gluten, dairy, and soy-free.
This recipe is part of the keto ground beef stir fry recipes series.
What is Egg Roll in a Bowl?
This low carb egg roll in a bowl is sure to be a favorite for anyone on a keto diet.
The simple combination of cabbage, ground beef, and spices qualifies it as one of the top easy keto recipes you have to try!
Some affectionately call this dish “crack slaw,” which tells you how addicting it is. Who knew cabbage, meat, and a few flavorful add-ins would be such a hit?
Stir fry the ingredients together all in one pan, then serve warm in a bowl. You don’t need wrappers or anything fancy to make this healthy homemade Chinese take-out alternative.
How to Make Ground Beef Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
Traditional egg rolls get their name from the egg roll wrapper. Since the wrapper wheat-based, we’re not using it here. Instead, we mix a few scrambled eggs into the vegetables and meat. It’s delicious!
- Coconut oil – Using oil rather than butter or duck fat keeps this recipe dairy-free. Coconut oil has a mild flavor too. It’s nice to have a neutral base that does not compete with the other flavors.
- Ginger root – Fresh ginger root is best, but you can also substitute it with 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder.
- Garlic – Isn’t everything better with garlic?
- Green cabbage – Use a pre-made coleslaw mix to save time! If you can’t find that at your local grocer, get a full head of cabbage and finely shred it by hand or in a food processor.
- Keto soy sauce – Make your own homemade Keto Soy Sauceor use a store-bought option like tamari (gluten-free, organic soy), Bragg’s liquid aminos, (gluten-free, non-GMO soy) or coconut aminos (gluten and soy-free ) to add the classic Asian flavor.
- Ground beef – 80/20 ground beef is perfect for this; it has a higher fat content that keeps recipes moist and delicious.
- Eggs – Putting the “egg” in “egg roll”. Eggs also add healthy animal-based protein and fats to the recipe. Buy quality eggs when you can!
- Sesame oil – Don’t leave out the sesame oil! It brings the whole meal together and adds the signature Chinese food taste.
- Green onion – Finely chopped green onion makes the dish pop with color when you serve it and adds a bit more flavor.
- Sesame seeds – Finish the dish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds for texture, a bit of crunch, and subtle nutty flavor
It only takes 10 minutes to prep this and even less if you use a pre-made coleslaw mix.
Step 1: Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and ginger, cook 1-2 minutes.
Step 2: Thinly slice cabbage or open a bag of coleslaw mix and add to the skillet. Toss to coat in oil. Stir fry for 5 minutes until softened.
Step 3: Add Keto Soy Sauce or aminos and raise the heat to medium-high. Continue cooking for 3 more minutes as liquid reduces, stirring occasionally.
Then, add ground beef. Break apart any chunks with a spatula. Stir fry until lightly browned.
Step 4: Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk.
Then push cabbage and beef to the side of the skillet. Next, pour the eggs on the exposed pan surface.
Finally, scramble in place by pushing in with a spatula as the sides begin to cook.
Break apart the eggs and combine everything in the skillet.
Step 5: Toss with sesame seed oil.
Step 6: Divided into portions and garnish each with green onions and sesame seeds.
Low Carb Egg Roll in a Bowl Variations
I favor ground beef for most recipes because it’s widely available and affordable.
Since I started buying ground beef in bulk and storing it in the freezer, I always have some on hand and save a lot of money on my monthly grocery budget.
However, if you want to use other protein sources, you certainly may.
Pick a protein of choice (buy it ground or use a meat grinder attachment to grind it yourself) and enjoy all the keto crack slaw variations.
Keep in mind that chicken and turkey are leaner options than beef and pork. You may want to finish with an extra splash or two of sesame oil to bring the fat and moisture up a little.
Cabbage is a keto-friendly choice that it’s great all by itself. (2)
If you want to make this stir fry even more filling, you can add sliced bell peppers, a shredded carrot or two, and onion. You can get creative with ingredients you already have on hand.
You can make this meal into a soup option too! Try our recipe for Keto Egg Roll Soup for those cold nights.
How to Store Ground Beef Crack Slaw
Have leftover egg roll in a bowl? Or did you intentionally double batch the recipe in your weekly meal prep?
Either way, it’s easy to store it in the fridge or freezer.
Pack the remaining portions in an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Alternatively, place the meat and vegetables in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 4 weeks. Always be sure to label and date the container, so you remember what it is!
To reheat, defrost the recipe in the fridge overnight, then warm it up in a skillet over medium-high heat.
More Low Carb Ground Beef Dinners
Ground beef is a keto staple I always have around! It’s so easy, versatile, and affordable. Use my printable Keto Meal Planner, follow these keto meal prep ideas, and plan your keto ground beef recipes!
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Keto Ground Beef Stir Fry
- Ground Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- Korean Ground Beef
Ground Beef Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl (Crack Slaw Recipe)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger root peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound green cabbage or coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup Keto Soy Sauce or liquid aminos, see note
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 lage eggs
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons green onion minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and ginger, cook 1-2 minutes.
- Thinly slice cabbage or open a bag of coleslaw mix and add to the skillet. Toss to coat in oil. Stir fry for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add Keto Soy Sauce or aminos, raise heat to medium-high. Continue cooking for 3 more minutes as liquid reduces, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground beef. Break apart any chunks with a spatula. Stir fry until lightly browned.
- Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk. Push cabbage and beef to the side of the skillet. Pour the eggs on the exposed pan surface. Scramble in place by pushing in with a spatula as the sides begin to cook.
- Break apart the eggs and combine everything together in the skillet.
- Toss with sesame seed oil.
- Divided into portions and garnish each with green onions and sesame seeds.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
More Keto Cabbage Recipes
These low-carb 30 minute meals with cabbage are super any night of the week!
10 thoughts on “Ground Beef Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl (Crack Slaw Recipe)”
This is my go to lunch! It is easy and curbs all my cravings for egg rolls. Love it!
Wonderful, Elizabeth! I’m so glad this recipe is helping you cut those egg roll cravings. Thanks for the review!
This is my new comfort food! This ground beef keto egg roll in a bowl is such a keeper! So easy and irresistible! Glad it is low-carb and healthy, I’m guilt-free!
Thanks for the review, Sharina! I’m so glad this is helping you enjoy your low-carb diet.