Slow cook this Keto Beef Stew recipe in a crockpot until the meat is fall off the fork-tender! This is an easy, one-pot, comfort food meal for fall and winter meal prep. Plus, it’s freezer-friendly and great for anyone eating healthy on a budget!
Table of Contents (click to view)
How to Make a Slow Cooker Keto Stew Recipe
Gather all your low-carb ingredients, and you’re already half-way done making a keto beef stew with 20 minutes or less of prep time!
Keto slow cooker recipes are some of the best for meal prep! This one doesn’t disappoint.
If you’re looking for a strict zero-fiber recipe, jump to my carnivore beef stew instead.
Marrow bones – These bones are the “secret” ingredient and will make this dish stand out from all the other stews you’ve tried before. Not only are marrow bones key for an exquisitely nourishing broth, but they also add a delectable flavor and lots of healthy fat. I suggest buying farm direct from White Oak Pastures.
Chuck roast – A favorite for slow-cooking because it’s cheap and softens nicely after cooking long and slow. I suggest grass-fed chuck roast, also from White Oak Pastures.
Beef tallow – This is my preferred cooking fat and I always have some on hand. If you’re interested, learn how to render beef tallow yourself. It’s a great heritage food and very practical. However, you may also substitute with olive oil, butter, or other cooking fat of your choice.
Bone broth – I prefer a homemade beef bone broth; however, Kettle and Fire makes an organic shelf-stable broth you can store in your pantry. You can read my Kettle and Fire Bone Broth Review and learn why they are my top choice.
Low-carb vegetables – Rinse and prep traditional stew ingredients like mushrooms, cauliflower, carrot, onion, and garlic. These are great for a keto diet!
Seasoning – Finally, add a pinch or two of thyme, salt, and pepper to finish the dish.
Follow along step-by-step, and you’ll make this keto slow cooker dinner perfectly the first time you try!
- Place the marrow bones in the center of the insert and turn the pot on.
- Heat tallow or cooking fat in a large skillet, over high heat, while you cube the roast. Sear the meat on all sides. Cook in batches, if needed. Add cooked meat to the crockpot.
- Arrange the vegetables around and on top of the meat. Add the herbs last.
- Pour broth in the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the lid. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
Grab your favorite soup bowl and spoon. Then, serve hot for lunch or dinner.
How to Make Stew Meat Tender
There’s nothing worse than chewy, dry meat. No one enjoys undercooked or overcooked meat because both ways are tough!
First, for perfectly tender fall off the fork meat, you have to use the correct cut.
Hard-working muscles, laced with collagen, are the best cuts for stew. After slow cooking for a long time at a low temperature, the collagen softens and gives that signature melt in your mouth texture.
Tough cuts of beef make the best stew meat:
- Chuck roast
- Bone-in short rib
- Bottom Sirloin Flap
- Brisket (with the fat cap, if possible)
These are all better choices than standard “stew meat” you’ll find in the store, and they tend to be some of the most affordable beef options! What a great bonus!
Cooking time is the second variable for tender stew meat. Make sure you allow enough cooking time because undercooking will lead to tough meat. I suggest 6-8 hours on low temperature or 3-4 hours on high.
Low-Carb Beef Stew FAQ
This recipe sure is! However, not all beef stew is keto-friendly. You want to avoid a recipe or pre-made (canned) stew with flour, starch, pasta, and potatoes in the ingredient list.
Aside from beef, broth, salt and pepper, you can add or substitute with a wide variety of low-carb vegetables and herbs. Consider classic stew ingredients like carrot, mushrooms, and onion. You might also like celery, parsnip, or zucchini. Herbs like oregano, thyme, and rosemary are all very complimentary.
Traditional beef stew uses potatoes and wheat flour as thickening agents. In my experience, I find that this stew is naturally thick and doesn’t need anything extra. However, sprinkling ½ teaspoon xanthan gum over the liquid in the last 30-60 minutes of cooking will guarantee a thicker finish without any added carbs. It’s an optional step you can choose or skip.
Absolutely! Many stews taste even better after sitting for a day or two, so this is a great make-ahead option. Let it simmer all day while you are out and about, then serve fresh or save in the fridge for another time.
One batch of slow cooker keto beef stew will make enough servings for dinner and give leftovers for later. In addition, it’s freezer-friendly, so you can prep ahead.
Let the stew cool completely before pouring it into a freezer bag. Then, lay the bag flat on a freezer shelf until solid. Once the contents are frozen, you can store the bag vertically and save a lot of space. Finally, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm on the stovetop before serving.
What to Serve with Keto Beef Stew
Pair your stew with a veggie side, salad, or keto breadsticks from the Ultimate Guide to Low-Carb Baking Cookbook.
You might also like:
- Psyllium Husk Keto Bread – Use a piece of low-carb bread for soaking up broth. Toast a piece before serving for a crispy crunchy finish!
- Low-Carb Focaccia Bread – Quick to make and entirely gluten-free with coconut flour and psyllium husk!
- Savory Keto Vegetable Muffins – Broccoli, coconut flour, and egg baked into a savory gluten-free side.
- Sauteed Squash and Onion in Butter – It’s a classic prep method for low-carb veggies and so versatile for any keto dinner.
Keto Beef Stew Recipe (Crock Pot)
- Slow Cooker
- Turn the slow cooker on low and place the marrow bones in the center of the insert.2 pounds beef marrow bones
- Heat tallow or cooking fat in a large skillet over high heat while you cube the roast. Sear the meat on all sides. Cook in batches, if needed. Add cooked meat to the crockpot.2 pounds chuck roast, 2 tablespoon beef tallow
- Arrange the vegetables around and on top of the meat. Add the herbs and season with salt and pepper.8 ounces mushrooms, 2 cups cauliflower, 1 large carrot, 1 large onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour broth in the pot.8 cups bone broth
- Cover with the lid. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Use what you have on hand, this recipe is very forgiving! Do you have other vegetables in your fridge that need to get used up? Add them in. Chop the broccoli, zucchini, or cabbage and add to the pot. Parsley, oregano, or rosemary may also be added or substituted.
- Mind your water line, if you add in a significant amount of extra vegetables, you may need to add more broth or water too.
- Adapt this recipe for a carnivore diet by simplifying the ingredient list to marrow bones, stew meat, tallow, bone broth, and salt. Decrease the broth to 4 cups. Cook on low. Check after 6 hours. Even better, follow the Carnivore Beef Stew Recipe.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
More Slow Cooked Keto Recipes
You don’t want to miss these easy keto crockpot recipes for meal prep! Keto slow cooker recipes are so delicious and easy.
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Slow-Cooker Keto Pot Roast
- Keto Shepherd’s Pie (Crock Pot)
- Keto Beef Stroganoff
- Keto Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Keto Beef and Broccoli