This collagen-rich, super meaty Easy Keto Carnivore Beef Stew is slow-cooked in a crockpot. It pops with flavor from low-carb vegetables and herbs. The best part is that this stew is a deeply nourishing meal for any day of the week, freezer friendly and takes minimal prep work to put together. Easy keto recipes like this one are essential when the weather turns chilly!
How to make Low Carb Crockpot Beef Stew
The classic stew is easy to make, collagen-rich, and super meaty.
Begin by turning the slow cooker on low and placing the marrow bones in the center of the insert.
Cube the roast. Lay the piece of meat in front of you, slice left to right into smaller sections, then rotate, and slice into strips. Finally, gather these strips and cut them into 1-inch cubes.
Heat beef tallow in a large skillet over high heat. Arrange the meat in a single layer and sear evenly on all sides. Cook in batches if needed. Once cooked, add to the pot.
Rinse and chop all vegetables. Gather the herbs. Place everything all in the pot on top of the meat.
Pour bone broth over it all. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Grab your favorite soup bowl and serve this recipe warm for lunch or dinner.
How to thicken low carb stew?
In a traditional beef stew, potatoes and all-purpose wheat flour are added to the pot. Boiling potatoes released starch in the water which can help hold things together. Likewise, gluten from the flour also has thickening properties that firms up the liquid.
In this keto version, you won’t find any high carb ingredients like these ones!
So how do we make it keto diet approved?
Relying on the long simmer time is enough. The liquid concentrates and reduces over time. This stew is naturally thick and doesn’t need anything extra added.
Adding beef marrow bones and beef bone broth will ensure you have a thick, gelatinous broth-based for the final soup.
Marrow has many nutritional benefits, like conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a type of fat that could decrease inflammation and enhance immune function.
Carnivore Beef Stew
Transform this recipe to a carnivore beef stew by simplifying the ingredient list. Use only marrow bones, beef meat, tallow, bone broth, and salt.
If you know you tolerate herbs and black pepper or onion and garlic, add them in also as you see fit. Many people are able to add low-oxalate foods without a problem after a period of elimination. Learn more about a low oxalate diet to see if it would be a good fit for you.
Are you looking for more delicious zero-fiber recipes?
Don’t miss out on The Carnivore Cookbook with over 100 recipes made from just the essentials: animal protein and fats!
How to make stew meat tender?
There’s nothing worse than chewy, dry meat. In fact, overcooked meat is a personal pet peeve of mine.
For perfectly tender, fall off the fork beef, you must use the correct cut of beef.
Hard-working muscles are the best cuts for stew because they are laced with collagen. After slow cooking for a long time at a low temperature, the collagen softens and gives that signature melt in your mouth kind of texture.
Tough cuts of beef make the best stew meat:
- Chuck roast
- Bone-in short rib
- Bottom Sirloin Flap
- Brisket (with the fat cap, if possible)
These are all better choices that standard “stew meat” you’ll find in the store.
The best part is that these tend to be some of the most affordable beef options!
You can buy a large piece, bring it home, and dice it yourself in just a few minutes.
Can you make this stew ahead of time?
Perfect for busy people and practical cooks, this slow cooker stew is super easy. You can absolutely make it ahead of time. Many soups and stews taste even better after they sit for a day or two, so this is a great make ahead option.
Let it simmer all day while you are out of the kitchen or at work and you can’t help but feel good about this budget-friendly recipe that will feel the whole family.
Is this beef stew recipe freezer friendly?
This slow cooked low carb beef stew is the star of my winter meal prep menu. One batch will make enough to serve hot with leftovers to freeze for later.
Let the stew cool completely before pouring into a freezer bag or airtight container. I lay freezer bags flat on the shelf until solid. Once the contents are frozen, they store vertically and save a lot of space!
Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm on the stovetop before serving.
Be sure to check out 8 Keto Chicken Soup Recipes for more freezer-friendly meals!
What to serve with keto beef stew
This meaty stew is so filling on its own, nothing else is required. However, you might like to add a vegetable or bread side to go with it. In that case, I recommend a few things to try:
- Creamy Cauliflower Mash – Replace mashed potatoes with a low-carb, but just as delicious, keto alternative made with cauliflower.
- Sauteed Squash and Onion in Butter – It’s a classic prep method for low-carb veggies and so versatile for any keto dinner!
- The Best Psyllium Husk Keto Bread – Slice this loaf and use a piece to soak up any liquid. This bread is great to make and store in the freezer. It thaws super quickly so you can pull it out just before eating. Toasting in a toaster or broiler before eating will give it a delicious crunchy texture!
- Low-Carb Focaccia – An elegant coconut flour bread made with a secret ingredient that makes it easily digestible and soothing to the gut.
With 5 g net carbs per serving, easy crockpot keto beef stew is a delicious, low-carb way to get your protein and fats in.
Easy Slow Cooker Keto Carnivore Beef Stew
- Slow cooker
- Turn the slow cooker on low and place the marrow bones in the center of the insert.
- Cube the roast. Heat tallow in a large skillet over high heat. Arrange the meat in a single layer and sear evenly on all sides. Cook in batches if needed. Once cooked, add to the pot.
- Rinse and chop all vegetables. Gather the herbs. Place everything all in the pot on top of the meat.
- Pour broth over it all. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Use what you have on hand, this recipe is very forgiving! Do you have other vegetables in your fridge that need to get used up? Add them in. Chop the broccoli, zucchini, or cabbage and add to the pot. Parsley, oregano, or rosemary may also be added or substituted.
- Mind your water line, if you add in a significant amount of extra vegetables, you may need to add more broth or water too.
- Adapt this recipe for a carnivore diet by simplifying the ingredient list to marrow bones, stew meat, tallow, bone broth, and salt. Decrease the broth to 4 cups. Cook on low. Check after 6 hours.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
More Slow Cooked Keto Recipes
More Keto Carnivore Dinner Ideas
Do you need more ideas? Try these 30 Easy Carnivore Diet Meal Ideas.
- Carnivore Ground Beef Recipes – This is the home page for all of the best carnivore diet recipes with ground beef.
- Slow Cooked Organ Meat Stew – Hide organ meats in a flavorful stew.
- Easy Braised Beef Shank – It’s fall-off-the-fork-tender!
- Carnivore Stroganoff – Cook up some ground beef with a creamy sauce.
- Easy Keto Dinners with Beef – Sure to inspire your meal prep to a new level, this collection is full of simple, easy-to-make meals.
Meet Jessica Haggard
Jessica Haggard is the creator of Primal Edge Health, where she shares simple, nourishing low-carb, keto and carnivore diet recipes.