A good Pemmican Recipe makes the ultimate keto and carnivore “protein bar”, perfect for travel and long-term storage. It won’t smush, squish, or spill.
Made from the most essential ingredients for human health, meat and fat, pemmican is extremely satiating and very nourishing. In a simple, straightforward process, hot tallow is mixed with dry meat and left to set. The final combination is a long-lasting, nutrient dense, nonperishable food.
Let me show you my favorite recipes for FREE!
Sign up to get my new recipe ebook
What Herbs and Spices are Best?
The answer to this question is really up to you!
What flavors do you enjoy most? A spicy Mexican blend of cilantro, onion, and cumin? An Italian blend of oregano, basil, and garlic?
I favor the mesquite seasoning from Mountain Rose Herbs that features rosemary, marjoram, and sage in combination with spicy accents of paprika, cumin, and garlic.
If you’re following a Carnivore Diet, herbs and spices aren’t on your radar. In this case, use the simple combination of meat, tallow, and salt.
Use what you like, taste, and adjust as needed.
Want to give pemmican a try without the work?
US wellness offers a variety of flavors and sizes of pemmican to choose from if you want to test it out before committing to making your own.
No pemmican recipe needs to be heated or cooked again after its made. This is part of it wonder, pemmican is completely shelf stable and, when prepared correctly, does not go rancid.
Tips for your Pemmican Recipe
- Use equal (1:1) proportion (by weight) of meat to tallow. I usually combine 400 g each of meat and tallow. You can double or half the recipe easily, as you see fit.
- Add your own Home Rendered Tallow to the meat or source from US Wellness (they have individual pails and large 5-gallon buckets).
- Dry meat with a food dehydrator
- Dry meat in the oven with a baking sheet at the lowest setting, approximately 155°F (70°C) for a few hours until dry, flip once. Use thin strips.
- Ground beef is easy to work with, affordable, and blends into a fine powder well. You may also use thinly cut loin, sirloin, or other lean part of choice.
- Tracking macros can be done by calculating the amount of meat you use correctly, 6 pounds of fresh meat makes 1 pound dry, ground meat.
- If making a half batch, use muffin or mini muffin tins to mold the “dough”.
- Want more fat? I have tried different levels of fat to meat, sometimes going up to 75% fat, 25% meat…in the end, it was a little too much but you are encouraged to experiment and find a ratio that works for you.
Do You Love Meat Like We Do?
Grab a copy of The Carnivore Cookbook from our shop!
The preparation of animal foods is completely demystified in The Carnivore Cookbook with a focus on nutrient density and nose-to-tail variety.
I love seeing when you make my recipes! Please share your cooking on Instagram with the hashtag #ketocollective and tag @PrimalEdgeHealth so I can repost my favorites.