Beef liver pate is a classic appetizer for any time of the year, especially during the holidays! This is a creamy, delicious, nutrient-dense treat you can serve with your favorite bread or vegetable sticks.
I highly recommend beginning your organ meats journey with liver. My A to Z Guide to Liver Pate on Keto and Carnivore Diets covers all the ins and outs of pate making so you can make some today!
Benefits of Eating Organ Meats
Organs are highly concentrated sources of nutrition. For example, the health benefits of liver are almost off the charts!
Since these foods are relatively underappreciated, they remain priced affordably even as other food costs rise.
Many butcher shops are now stocking organ meats. Online shops are also responding to the rising demand for organs.
Learn where to buy liver near you!
I am overjoyed when people embrace the benefits of organ meats. The benefits are worth the effort it takes to get to know them in your kitchen.
How to Serve a Classic Beef Liver Pate
Like any good dip or pate, you need some dip-ables!
If you follow a keto diet, choose your favorite low-carb veggie stick or cracker. If you do well with carbs, break out the sourdough French bread!
Here are some ideas to get you started.
Serve pate with:
- Just a spoon (my personal favorite)
- Crispy bacon slices
- Fresh slices of cucumber
- Celery sticks (assuming no oxalate sensitivity)
- Baked vegetable chips
- Grilled vegetables
- Other quick and easy low carb, keto snacks
Liver pate is one of my go-to keto appetizers for a crowd.
Try this Dairy Free Ox Liver Pate if you prefer cooking without dairy.
Or maybe chicken liver is more your style? If so, try this alcohol-free Chicken Liver Pate Recipe (with Carnivore diet option).
Fiber Free aka “Carnivore”
You might do well with keto carnivore recipes but some folks find they prefer a fiber-free Carnivore Diet. If you are interested in zero-carb carnivore diet recipes, follow the same directions below but omit the garlic, thyme, and pepper.
Serve a la louche (by the spoon), with bacon as a dipper, or on the side of your meat.
If you’re looking for more delicious zero-fiber recipes, you’ll find over 100 recipes made from just the essentials: animal protein and fats in my Carnivore Cookbook!
Classic Beef Liver Pate
- Food processor
- 1/2 pound beef liver
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream optional, preferably raw
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet. Add finely minced garlic and cook on medium-high until translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the connective tissue off of the liver and slice to thin strips. Add beef liver to pan, increase to high heat. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper. Sear liver for 60 seconds on each side.
- Remove liver from heat and let cool, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. While blending/pureeing, add the remaining butter and cream (if using). Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Once the mixture is completely smooth, remove from blender and put in ramekins or a glass container and cover tightly. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight (preferred) to harden and let flavors meld.
- Serve with cucumber, celery, bacon or just a spoon.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
49 thoughts on “Classic Beef Liver Pate”
Great recipe! I doubled it and used homemade almond milk instead of cream (since I had none on hand.) I froze in small single serving silicone trays for future use.
Yum! Thanks for sharing your success with us Hallie! Great tip about freezing ahead of time too. Having small portions ready to go is a big help.