This fried cabbage and sausage skillet is a delicious, timeless recipe. Ready in 30 minutes or less, the meal won’t disappoint and can be made any night of the week. Plus, it’s budget-friendly and great for the whole family. This is the perfect combination of flavor and ease of preparation!
Table of Contents (click to view)
Why Cabbage and Sausage?
The simplicity and taste of this easy keto recipe cannot be beat!
This skillet dinner is one of my tried and true, reliable recipes I make on busy weeknights.
If you ask me, raw cabbage isn’t overly impressive. It’s rubbery and crunchy. I know some people who love it, but for me, it’s not in my top 10 favorite ways to eat vegetables.
Fried or braised cabbage on the other hand, is an entirely different story! With heat, cabbage becomes soft and tender with a surprisingly sweet taste. Plus, it absorbs all the flavors in this dish really well.
There are many reasons why I recommend this low-carb recipe:
- It’s made in a single skillet so clean up is easy
- All the ingredients are budget-friendly
- The whole family will enjoy it together
- It’s easy to double batch and makes great leftovers!
Love your Instant Pot? Make Instant Pot cabbage and sausage instead.
Easy Fried Cabbage and Sausage Skillet
This dish highlights all the good things about cabbage and sausage. They are naturally complimentary to each other and don’t need much else for flavoring.
To top off the delicious flavor, this easy dinner can be prepped and fried in less than 30 minutes, so it’s perfect to serve without a lot of prep or planning.
If you want to simplify this recipe down to the bare essentials, omit the garlic, onion, bay leaf, and allspice. Just cabbage, sausage, and salt are enough!
This is a delicious high-protein, keto carnivore recipe.
Keto Cabbage Soup is another easy recipe with cabbage made with simple everyday ingredients.
How to Make Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
Get ready to make a cabbage and sausage skillet dinner recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Begin by heating the cooking fat in the skillet over medium-high heat. I always use butter or beef tallow for frying but if you prefer, use extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil to keep this recipe dairy-free and paleo.
Thinly slice the cabbage. Set aside.
Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the onions to the skillet first and cook for 4 minutes until soft. Next, add the garlic and bay leaf. Cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Stir in the allspice powder.
Add the cabbage to the skillet and mix well. Season with salt. Continue stir-frying until the cabbage is soft and the volume reduces by half. Stir to avoid burning and allow the ingredients to cook evenly.
Slice smoked sausage into thin rounds and add to the pan.
Continue cooking until the cabbage is completely tender and the sausage is slightly browned.
Remove from heat and serve hot!
What is the Best Sausage to Use?
You can use any type of sausage you like!
Find a healthy option made from grass-fed beef or bison, pastured pork or free-range chicken or turkey.
Not only will these have the best quality meat, but it’s likely they will be nitrate-free and have minimal to no added sugar or preservatives.
If you are fortunate enough to have a local supplier or farm near by, support them as much as possible!
Both options offer a variety flavors and protein types from pork, beef, chicken, and turkey.
I prefer to use a smoked sausage in this quick skillet dinner because you just need to reheat the meat which makes the cooking time faster than if you have to cook them all the way through.
The spicier the sausage, the more flavor you get. Feel free to use your favorites!
Keto Cabbage and Sausage Stir Fry?
You can prepare this recipe on many wellness diets. Made with naturally low-carb and dairy-free ingredients this recipe is approved for keto, low-carb, paleo, and whole30 diets.
What good news, if you’re on a keto diet! Recipes like this one-pan dinner are the kind you need to learn how to make so you can succeed with your dietary changes and get the results you want long-term.
Print out this recipe and save it in your kitchen!
More Easy Skillet Dinner Recipes
Learning how to cook satisfying, healthy dinners is a game changer! It’s a big deal to finally find recipes that leave you feeling good after you eat them.
The world is hard enough to navigate through, we don’t need the meal prep to be a mystifying experience.
Try these other quick and easy dinner meals and build your kitchen confidence!
- Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry – involves only a simple mix of everyday ingredients inspired by Asian flavors.
- Keto Cheeseburger Skillet – It’s all the best parts of a cheeseburger without the carbs
- Keto Ground Beef Stir Fry – Mix ground beef with your favorite low-carb vegetables and toss in a delicious stir-fry sauce
Fried Cabbage and Sausage Skillet
- Heat the cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook for 4 minutes until soft. Next, add the garlic and bay leaf. Cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant. Stir in the allspice powder.2 tablespoons butter, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 bay leaf
- Add the cabbage to the skillet and mix well. Season with salt. Continue stir-frying until the cabbage is soft and the volume reduces by half. Stir to avoid burning and allow the ingredients to cook evenly.1 medium green cabbage, 1 teaspoon salt
- Slice smoked sausage into thin rounds and add to the pan.Continue cooking until the cabbage is completely tender and the sausage is slightly browned.Serve warm.1 pound smoked sausage, ¼ teaspoon allspice powder
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
More Keto Cabbage Recipes
These low-carb 30 minute meals with cabbage are super any night of the week!
- Ground Beef and Cabbage Stir-Fry
- Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Cabbage Noodles with Ground Beef
- Keto Cabbage and Sausage Alfredo
Originally published on January 2, 2018. Recently updated October 7, 2020 with new images and directions.
This was one of our Best Keto Recipes from 2018.