A keto Portobello Egg Bake is a soft and warming breakfast combination of vegetables, healthy fats
Serve a healthy breakfast dish in the morning with this simple recipe. The whole family can chow down on these baked mushrooms stuffed with cheese, herbs
Once you get the basic concepts behind the recipe, you can customize it however you like.
The foundational process is oiling the mushrooms, cracking open eggs, and adding herbs and cheese. Rubbing the mushroom with coconut oil (olive oil, butter, or ghee) cannot be skipped. Do this to infuse it flavor and most importantly, prevent the mushroom from burning as it bakes.
Arranging the mushrooms on a sheet of parchment paper will prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet and helps to easily remove any egg white that may spill over the edge of the mushroom cap.
Customize the keto Portobello Egg Bake
- Mix and match with what you have on hand and what you like. I added parsley on top, in its place you can use other culinary herbs like thyme, oregano and rosemary. Herbal blends like Mexican and Italian flavors can also be used.
- Add thick slices of white onion or chopped garlic before the egg. It could be cool to have a large slice of onion nestled in the bottom of the mushroom and set the egg inside to cook.
- Get more protein in the meal by adding a side of bison sausage or ground beef
- If your mushroom caps are wide and deep, you may be able to bake more than one egg inside.
- Replace the goat cheese with Asiago, Parmesan, Gruyere or omit it completely.
Our daughter’s favorite part of the meal was the warm mushroom which says a lot considering she is such “a fan of cheese”. The cheese usually reigns supreme. She enjoyed the Portobello Egg Bake with a side of homemade Probiotic Pickled Relish. I love making this relish because it uses up a lot of cucumbers, tastes great and is super easy to make. If you try it, I suggest cutting the cucumbers in medium to large pieces. Whenever I use small pieces, the ferment goes very fast and the result is softer (aka smooshy) than we like.
This recipe is for ONE SERVING. Double, triple or quadruple as needed.
Check out this epic collection of 45 Keto Breakfast Ideas for more inspiration on how to serve your morning meal!
Do you love baking easy recipes?
I highly recommend The Ultimate Guide to Low-Carb Baking for all you need to know about sugar-free, keto sweet and savory baked goods!
Portabello Egg Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the stem and inner gills of the mushrooms with a spoon. Rinse and pat dry.
- Rub inside and outside thoroughly with oil.
- Arrange cap side down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Crack an egg in each of the mushroom wells. Sprinkle with goat cheese. Garnish with parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the eggs whites are cooked and the yolk is set. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Nutrition & Macros
To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information.
Meet Jessica Haggard
Jessica Haggard is the creator of Primal Edge Health, where she shares simple, nourishing low-carb, keto and carnivore diet recipes.