A ketogenic diet (or keto diet) is an increasingly popular diet very low in carbohydrates, moderate in protein, and high in fat.
Originally used in the medical field for treating epilepsy, it’s fame is growing as a way to regulate blood sugar and insulin, improve brain function and memory, reduce inflammation and pain, and lose body fat all through dietary choices.
How does a ketogenic diet work?
On a ketogenic diet, our bodies adapt to ketosis (which has been briefly outlined here). Once in this metabolic state, our bodies source energy from ketone bodies rather than glucose in the blood. The main ketones metabolized are called acetoacetate and Beta-hydroxybutyrate.
By keeping carbs very low over time, the liver will eventually deplete glycogen and begin burning fats. These fats can come either from your plate or body!
What is a ketogenic diet?
Bottom line: A ketogenic diet is a way of eating that focuses on severe carbohydrate restriction.
But what does that look like in real life?
It is important to have a well-formulated ketogenic diet.
Recommened: Keto Grocery List + Shopping Resources
Focus on eating quality foods (our cookbook is a great recipe resource!). Build your meals around animal protein and fats. In general, protein has eyes or comes from a shell. Protein powders and shake mixes are not adequate sources long-term. Add your favorite low-carb vegetables and enjoy a new state of being.
If you’re ready to go – check out our cookbook!
The Ketogenic Edge Cookbook contains helpful dietary advice and over 130 recipes all based on real food ingredients. Use our tips, advice and delicious recipes to simplify your ketogenic diet and lifestyle and maintain success long-term!
What’s the MOST IMPORTANT thing to EAT on keto?
What Can I Eat on Keto?
Carbohydrates will come mostly from vegetables. If you tolerate nuts and dairy, it is fine to include those sparingly in your diet also. Our goal on keto is to remove all high-sugar foods like grains, starches, legumes, and most fruit.
Recommended: Learn How to Source Quality Foods
It is a great kitchen resource and inspiration for low-carb, ketogenic, and paleo cuisine!
Available only in our shop – come and support our work!
- Meats – beef and other grazing (grass-fed) animals, poultry, fish and seafood, eggs
Shopping Suggestion: Save 25$ off an order with Crowd Cow
- Animal fats – tallow, lard, butter, ghee, chicken and duck fat
- Plant fats – avocado, olive oil, coconut oil
Shopping Suggestion: Our favorite coconut oil
- Non-starchy vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, Brussel’s sprouts, radishes, etc.
- Leafy Greens – collards, lettuce, kale, etc.
- Other low-carb vegetables – garlic, onion, etc.
- High fat dairy – cheeses, cream, butter, etc.
- Nuts and seeds – macadamias, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Berries – raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc.
- Sweeteners – stevia, erythritol, monk fruit
Shopping Suggestion: Save 20% off our favorite keto sweetener
Do Not Eat
- Grains – wheat, corn, rice, cereal, etc.
- Starches – potatoes, winter squash, yams, and other tubers
- Legumes – soy, beans, peanuts, lentils, etc.
- Fruit – nearly all fruit with the exception of lemons, limes, avocado, and some berries
- Sugar – white sugar, panela, honey, agave, maple syrup, etc.
- Refined vegetables oils – canola, soy, sunflower, grapeseed, etc.